[fitsbits] FITS Liberator (article on space.com)

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Fri Jul 9 16:40:56 EDT 2004

Bob et al,

yes, i was being a bit open-source zealous. I do however commend them on putting
it out in the open. Of course linux people are bound to react to it. The only
one thing that irked me is the binding sentence that despite that is was a
plugin their binding with this company would forbid them to bring it out in the
open. That's a very weird construction, to say the least.

Tools like ds9 (RGB loading) and karma make at least as good, if not better,
figures for EPO, if you know what you're doing! But they are rarely used by
non-professional astronomers, and thus photoshop is a good way bring these
techniques available in a wider field. At the same time, since GIMP and
Photoshop are so close, i do hope to see some interest in a "port" of these
tools. As said by Patrick already, GIMP does come with a fits load/save plugin,
so perhaps most of it can be done already.

btw, another group at ST presented some fascinating use of OpenOffice and use of
those toolkits at the previous ADASS. It was more for non-science/non-EPO use i
believe, but the OpenOffice people were thrilled with it.

And like i said, i'm mostly concerned with locking up the source code of this
plugin software because of some strange licening arrangment with the Adobe.

- peter