[fitsbits] FITS Liberator (article on space.com)

William Pence William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
Fri Jul 16 13:55:05 EDT 2004

Don Wells wrote:

> It has come to my attention that a FITS-related article was posted to
> space.com yesterday. See
>
>     http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/fits_liberator_040708.html
>
> During the past 25 years there must have been some other FITS-related
> press releases, but I don't remember any.  This one appears to be
> technically correct (a rarity in press releases, in my experience).
> I expect that many amateur astronomers will read this article.

The developers of this FITS plug-in for Photoshop told me that there were
15000 downloads in less than a week.  This suggests that there is a strong
interest outside of the professional astronomer community for viewing FITS
images.

Bill Pence
Dr. William Pence                          William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662         HEASARC         +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                         +1-301-286-1684 (fax)