[fitsbits] FITS Liberator (article on space.com)

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Fri Jul 9 15:44:06 EDT 2004

I think you all are being are bit overly critical.  The professional
outreach folks use Photoshop as their primary tool.  I know and work with
Lars and Zolt and know that this effort was totally well-intentioned.  And
the FAQ comment about the 8-bit version does not sound like a cheap-shot to
me.  It says:

4. Q: Photoshop CS is too expensive. Are there other options?
A: You can also use Photoshop Elements 2.0. It costs around 99$, Note: it
does only support 8 bit (which should be enough in most cases).

Seems to me to be a simple, objective statement.

I think it is a good thing if FITS files become more easily accessible to
the people who do EPO work routinely -- it only helps to get quality imaging
into their hands, and thus into the broader community.

Cheers,

Bob