[fitsbits] SDSS data

Allan Adler ara at nestle.ai.mit.edu
Wed Jun 18 23:40:30 EDT 2003

I'm under the impression that the data in the SDSS database resides
in FITS files. If on my Linux system I execute

wget -q -O "out.csv" "http://skyserver.pha.jhu.edu/dr1/en/tools/search/x_sql.asp?format=csv&cmd=SELECT%20TOP%2010%20*%20FROM%20Galaxy%20WHERE%20r%3C17"

as mentioned by the website http://skyserver.pha.jhu.edu/dr1/en/
I get a file out.csv in CSV (Comma Separated Values) format. I looked
at the file out.csv and found that it has comma separated data comprising
11 rows and (I think) 477 columns, with the first row consisting of what
seem to be the column headings. I don't know if that file can be converted
to a FITS file, since I'm still pretty ignorant about FITS. What I'd like to
know is whether that can be done or whether I need to download FITS raw data
from SDSS directly. In either case, how is that done?

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
ara at zurich.ai.mit.edu

*  Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial       *
*              Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect    *
*              in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston   *
*              metropolitan area.                                          *