[fitsbits] FITS MIME RFC ready for review

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 4 17:31:48 EDT 2003

I may have misunderstood.  Are you saying that a file of type
image/fits without a primary data unit (i.e., some NAXISi=0) should be
considered an empty image?

I don't have a problem with that.
What I would have a problem with is a prescription that says: if the
MIME type is image/fits and there is no primary data unit, look for an
extension of type IMAGE, or something like that.

  - Arnold

Tom McGlynn wrote:
> I'd planned on waiting till I got home before discussing this, since
> my previous message came from there and I could reuse some text
> but it sounds like the discussion has already begun...
>

> I've not been privy to the FITSMIME discussion, but
> it seems to me that image/fits is a reasonable MIME type to use when
> the data of interest is a simple primary HDU.  Here are a couple of
> examples of how I thought this might be used.
>
> SkyView currently uses the image/x-fits extension for its MIME type
> and it allows the user to specify the pixel dimensions of the image
> to be returned.  Somewhat to my chagrin it currently fails silently
> if the user specifies a Nx0 pixel array.  However in fixing this bug
> I'd anticipate that what we're likely to do is to provide the user
> with a primary image with no pixels but with the header associated
> with the position and survey they user requested.  As it stands I
> cannot legally return this image using the same MIME type as all of the other
> images SkyView generates.  So both SkyView and the invoking program
> need to be able to handle two different MIME types.  In practice I would
> imagine that distinction would be ignored by developers so 0 pixel images
> would be returned as Image/FITS regardless of what the rules say!
>
> Another example is supposing a users has a time sequence of images with
> a specific instant associated with each image.  A user may request
> an the images within some interval.  If there are N images found in
> the interval and images have some common a x b format, the data might
> appropriately be returned as an a x b x N image -- a FITS equivalent
> to an animated GIF.  If no images are found a return of an a x b x 0 image
> may be the most natural return format.  Again, it seems strange to
> constrain this value to be in Application/FITS while all others
> are legal Image/FITS.
>
> I don't see Image/FITS as a moribund MIME type supported purely for
> historical interest, but as a strong suggestion to the reader that the primary HDU is
> of interest.  I think that's similar to what Steve is suggesting.
>

> 	Regards,
> 	Tom McGlynn
>
> Steve Allen wrote:
> > On Tue 2003-06-03T15:24:09 -0400, Arnold Rots hath writ:
> >
> >>Uh, does this mean that you retract your earlier proposal to change
> >>MUST to SHOULD or is it meant to strengthen the argument?
> >>
> >>If the latter, then I would argue that we should not put the cart
> >>before the horse.  SIAP is a prototype and we should not design a
> >>standard on the basis of usage in a prototype interface.
> >

> > I do not retract the change from MUST to SHOULD, but I would very much
> > like to know whether the VO community thinks that "application/fits"
> > alone serves their current and future needs.
> >
> > I neglected to mention the existing non-astronomical applications
> > which currently also use what is effectively "image/fits".
> > The semantics of FITS files with the standard keywords is currently
> [...]
Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu