[fitsbits] FITS MIME RFC ready for review

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 3 16:34:36 EDT 2003

I'd planned on waiting till I got home before discussing this, since
my previous message came from there and I could reuse some text
but it sounds like the discussion has already begun...

I've not been privy to the FITSMIME discussion, but
it seems to me that image/fits is a reasonable MIME type to use when
the data of interest is a simple primary HDU.  Here are a couple of
examples of how I thought this might be used.

SkyView currently uses the image/x-fits extension for its MIME type
and it allows the user to specify the pixel dimensions of the image
to be returned.  Somewhat to my chagrin it currently fails silently
if the user specifies a Nx0 pixel array.  However in fixing this bug
I'd anticipate that what we're likely to do is to provide the user
with a primary image with no pixels but with the header associated
with the position and survey they user requested.  As it stands I
cannot legally return this image using the same MIME type as all of the other
images SkyView generates.  So both SkyView and the invoking program
need to be able to handle two different MIME types.  In practice I would
imagine that distinction would be ignored by developers so 0 pixel images
would be returned as Image/FITS regardless of what the rules say!

Another example is supposing a users has a time sequence of images with
a specific instant associated with each image.  A user may request
an the images within some interval.  If there are N images found in
the interval and images have some common a x b format, the data might
appropriately be returned as an a x b x N image -- a FITS equivalent
to an animated GIF.  If no images are found a return of an a x b x 0 image
may be the most natural return format.  Again, it seems strange to
constrain this value to be in Application/FITS while all others
are legal Image/FITS.

I don't see Image/FITS as a moribund MIME type supported purely for
historical interest, but as a strong suggestion to the reader that the primary HDU is
of interest.  I think that's similar to what Steve is suggesting.

	Regards,
	Tom McGlynn