[fitsbits] Re: fits image decomposition and movement sensing

Jim Cant jcant at globalserve.net
Tue Sep 26 12:42:21 EDT 2000

Hi Evan,

Check out these sites:

http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/
http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~bcotton/fitsview.html
http://www.ip.pt/coaa/fitsx.htm

The NASA and NRAO sites both have good FITS viewers.  The NASA site has
all the documentation you could want regarding the FITS standard.  They
also have a library of C routines 'CFITSIO' for manipulating FITS files.

However, if you are a competent programmer all you really need is the
documentation and you should be able to cook up a FITS reader/writer
easily.  A FITS file has an ascii readable header and the appended data
blocks are binary code.

Hope this helps,

Jim Cant
Toronto, Canada