Viewing DSS Fits Files

Bill Cotton bcotton at nrao.edu
Mon May 4 19:55:23 EDT 1998

dgb at doplar.wa.astro.gov.au writes:
 > The other day I asked about viewers for fits files to help me with a
 > photographic project for my astronomical club.  I was given the net
 > address to download FITsview 2.0.
 >
 > The good news is that I now have this program and it works well with the
 > sample images that came with it.  However, when I try to view fits files
 > downloaded fromm DSS I get an error message saying that I have performed
 > an illegal function.  I have tried on different days downloading DSS
 > images and seeing if they will be accepted by the program.  But no
 > luck.  If it is of any use my computer has Windows 95 and runs a late
 > version of Netscape.
 >
 > Your help is once again needed.
 >
 > Gordon
 >
 > (What I have seen so far, I think Fitsviewer is a fantastic research
 > tool)

Gordon,
   Could you be a bit more specific about your source of dss images.
I can't reproduce your problem using images from the stsci server.
Also, could you please use an E-Mail account with a proper host name?
When I try to send you a message directly it bounces complaining of
"Unknown host".

-Bill Cotton