[evlatests] Band Switch Test

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 12 18:32:05 EST 2018

     I ran a very demanding band switching test last Friday.  This
consisted of rapidly switching between all possible (cassegrain) band
pairs -- with 8 bands, that is 28 pairs.  For each pair, I observed 5
cycles, each observation at each band is 1 minute long.  A single source
was observed.

     The detailed results will take some time to fully process. The
procedure is to first review the switched power data, then compare this
to the actual visibility data (best done with calibrating with, and
without the switched power applied).  This has been completed for L-band
(results in next email) only, so far.

     Three top-level conclusions can be made here:

     1) For the low-frequency bands (L, S, C and X), the switched power
behavior is very good, with none of the multi-level or 'shredded' values
present.  There are individual, antenna-specific issues, which will be
noted separately in succeeding messages.

     2) For the high-frequency bands, (Ku through Q), all sorts of awful
behaviors are seen.  Most are consistent with the bad switches in the T303.

     3) The good news is that ea10, which has a new type of switch in
its T303, there are *no* observed instances of 'bad behavior'.

     Details will follow, over time ...