[evlatests] Referenced Pointing Problems -- addendum

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Sat Nov 10 13:07:18 EST 2018

     The note I sent around concerning referenced pointing issues was
incomplete.  After a more careful review, I believe the situation is now
clear (although the cause is not ...):

     The problems I noted only occur when the referenced pointing cycle
begins before the antennas are on source -- and they only occur for
'old-ACU' antennas numbered 18 and higher.

     Some details:

     The tests were done on four sources, two of which transit very
close to the zenith -- 3C286 and OQ208.  All the noted issues occurred
when observing these object near meridian transit. (Maximum elevations
were 85 and 84 degrees, respectively).

     We got into trouble because the OPT consistently underestimated the
time needed to slew between these sources when both were at these high
elevations.  I had (I thought) conservatively added extra time, above
the OPT's estimates, but this was not sufficient.

     So, during the execution of the script, the antennas were up to 15
seconds late in getting on source (almost equal to one 20-second dwell).

     Conclusions from a more careful review:

     1) There were no failures of any kind when the antennas reached the
source prior to the beginning of the referenced pointing cycle.

     2) There were no failures when the new ACU, and the old-ACU
antennas numbered up to 17 reached the source during the first offset
position in the pointing cycle.  These antennas were located in the
correct *(+Az) position, the off-source flags were correct, so only true
on-position data were utilized.

     3) The troubles are all with the old-ACU antennas numbered 18 or
higher, when the antenna slew to source arrived ~ 10 seconds or more
late.  In this case, the second raster position (-Az) was a combination
of the +Az and -Az positions -- the 'old' position (+AZ) was observed
for about the first 10 seconds of the second raster point, and the 'new'
(correct) position (-Az) was observed in the second half.  The only
flagged data were in the middle, corresponding to the motion between
these two positions.

     Because this situation occurred on the second pointing position, it
would have been counted as a valid offset, but in fact is an average of
the two azimuth offsets!  (This presumes that the statement made by
Bryan, that the first pointing position information is never utilized by
TelCal, is correct).

     Two more important points:

     1) The visibility data clearly show that the *old ACU* antennas do
not pass through the center of the beam when traveling between the +Az
and -Az positions, nor do then when traveling between the +El and -El
positions!!!  In all cases, the visibilities drop to near zero between
these pointing positions. The situation with the 'new ACU' antennas is
less clear -- sometimes the visibilities clearly show the passage
through the beam center, sometimes there is little change in amplitude
(as if the antenna travelled the circular route ...).  Very strange.

     2) Although the system flags are quite good w.r.t. antenna
off-source (as when they are in motion), they do not account for the 2
-- 5 seconds when the antennas are rocking back and forth after having
reached the intended offset position.  The data show the over/under
shoot very clearly!  And as these are not flagged, they are being used
in the offset pointing solution.  The effect is significant, especially
with the smoothed response of the new ACU antennas (which do not
oscillate at the natural 2 Hz rate). Hence, I strong recommend:

     * that the first ~5 seconds of any offset pointing position not be
utilized in the TelCal solution*.