[evlatests] VLA Test Results Meeting Today

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 11 10:25:43 EDT 2014

     All:

     A reminder of the 10AM meeting, in Rm 317, to discuss recent VLA
tests.

     We have (so far) three items:

     1) All About 'PDif Compression' -- Rick and Keith.

                 --  what it is, when it happens, how important it is,
what causes it, and what we can do about it.

     2) Changing procedures for correlator operations following a power
loss.  -- Kevin and Bob.

                 --  They will explain how it works now, and how Bob
recommends how it should be changed to prolong the life of the
correlator battery, and what effect such a change would have on observing.

     3) System gain and polarization stability, and the quest for
'pre-calibrated' data.   -- Rick

                -- There is much evidence to show that the antenna
efficiencies, noise diode powers, bandpass shapes, and antenna
cross-polarizations are all very stable over long periods of time. If
so, there is no fundamental reason why we cannot 'pre-calibrate' all
visibilities (except perhaps for phase).  Doing so will considerably
assist our users, particularly in the difficult process of RFI
identification and excision.  I'll give a status report on progress
towards this goal.