[evlatests] Some Non-Functional Switched Powers ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 26 11:36:48 EDT 2013

    An hour-long test, in preparation for 'flux densities' was done last
night.  About 13 northern objects were observed at X, Ka, and Q bands.

    Two significant issues with the switched power were found:

    ea02 at X-band:  Zero PDif, but good PSum on all four IFs.
Clearly, the diode is not switching.

    ea08 at Q-band:  Same as above -- but I note that for all four IFs,
the reported (and unchanging) PDif is very negative -- about -25
millicounts.  This is a significant value, at least 5 times the noise in
the measurement.   Something not right is going on.

    If memory serves me right, both of these non-functioning switched
power issues have been reported before.

    A number of antennas, particularly at X-band, are showing large
changes in switched and total power when changing scans.  This is not
supposed to happen (as I carefully observed long enough on the first
scan to ensure 'set and remember' should be able to work).