[evlatests] Rubidium update

Keith Morris kmorris at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 24 19:47:50 EDT 2013

Almost immediately after my last update, the Rubidium returned to a
drift rate of approximately 50us/day, most likely due to the change in
temperature environment after we finished the adjustment and closed the
rack.  So we found a way to get the serial port connection through the
Master Rack bulkhead and performed a second adjustment with the Rubidium
in a constant temperature environment.

Based on the last 1 1/2 hours of data, 1-minute averages, it is now
drifting with a rate of about 2us/day, with an offset of 4.5us (Rubidium
leading) from the GPS tick.

A timer/counter has now been installed, measuring the delay between the
GPS tick and the system PPS tick at the output of the L356.  I am
arranging with the operators that they will take a counter reading once
at 8am, once at 4pm, each day, and email me the two readings.  In this
way we will have adequate warning should the offset or drift rate change
abruptly.  This is our stopgap solution until we are able to make the
L356 monitor points more robust.

--
Keith Morris
National Radio Astronomy Observatory