[evlatests] No PDif Compression!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:31:12 EDT 2012

    We ran another test last night to locate the origin of the 'PDif
Compression' problem.  In this test, Ken arranged to turn on the 20 dB
'solar' attenuators which are located in the LSC Converter (T302).  The
rest of the script ran as before:

    - on cold sky, the T304 input and output attenuators were adjusted
to provide the correct power to the module, and the samplers.
    - the output attenuators were then stepped from +12 dB through to
-12 dB attenuation, in 3dB steps, on each of three sources:  cold sky,
calibrator, and Cygnus A.

    Result:

    No (or almost no) PDif compression when on Cygnus A!!!  This result
was true for every antenna and IF.

    So, we can confidently claim that the compression occurs between the
20 dB attenuators in the T302, and the input attenuators of the T304.
Between these two points are amplifiers and LOs within the T302, and the
input amplifier of the T304.

   Keith Morris has further information regarding the output power
levels of the L-band receivers, which I believe is consistent with the
clues given above.  He'll send around a  report on his investigations
later.