[evlatests] More on PDif Compression -- (more confusion)

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Sun Jul 15 17:59:52 EDT 2012

    Ken modified the PDif compression test script to lower the power
levels within the T304 by 10 dB from the nominal values.  It was hoped
that in doing so, the compression seen in PDif when we observe Cygnus A
(typically 15% for a power increase of ~4 dB) would disappear.  The test
ran last night.

    It didn't.

    Some test details:  Ken first set the input attenuators 10 dB higher
than is normal.   The output attenuators were then set to provide the
correct power to the digitizers.  These values were 'remembered'.  The
script then adjusted the output attenuators, in 3 dBsteps, from a level
12 dB higher than the nominal to 12 dB lower.  For each of the nine
settings, we observed cold sky, a local calibrator, and Cygnus A.  The
requantizers were not adjusted (and the visibility data clearly show the
overflow expected at the high power end).

    The middle observation is at the nominal power level, except that
the power *within* the T304 will be 10dB below that of the previous
test.  So it is useful to compare the compression for the middle setting
from last week (power within the T304 at the nominal level) to that from
last night (power within the T304 10 dB lower).

    The same characteristics noted before are seen again -- antennas
which had very high compression before still do with the reduced power
level.  Those with the compression low then are low now.  There is one
small, but significant difference overall -- the compression levels are
a little less with the lower power.   However, it is not useful to add
another 10 dB attenuation  to the input -- we'd have little left to look
at.
    Last night's test also revealed another curiousity -- in the maximum
attenuation state (output attenuators at the highest level) a number of
antenna/IFs showed a small 'negative' PDif.  This went to the normal
state (small positive PDif) as the output attenuation was decreased.

    The only clear result I have is that the two antennas with the
highest PDif (5 and 25) are just as compressed in last night's test as
before.  For these two, it seems clear that the compression arises
elsewhere, presumably 'upstream'.