[evlatests] [evla-sw-discuss] parameter simplification for the VHF receivers

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 16 09:29:27 EDT 2012

Hi Frazer --

>    The situation is complicated. I would think the possibility of
> having two (or eventually three) receivers added together to produce one
> input band for the correlator probably never came up. The 4 and P-band
> part of Lowband have different power levels (although we are trying to
> get then to be close on the sky) and different  T_cals (~ 10X
> different). We probably will have one default observing set up which
> delivers both bands  in some number of subbands and channelization,
> e.g., one subband of 32 MHz with 1024 channels for 4-band and three
> subbands of 128 MHz with 512  channels. However, it seems clear that
> other choices would be made for some experiments.  So we can't just
> reserve certain subbands for 4 and others for P. Furthermore, since the
> T_cals are very different (as well as T_sys), more than one cal value
> seems necessary.  Furthermore the potential exist to add 2-band to the
> system (120-170 MHz) with a third set of parameters.  (see
> http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~pharden/LBR/lbr.htm for more details)

This can all be handled by the SDM without any problem.  The difficulty
lies in getting the information to MCAF, so that we can form the SDM
properly.

Can we simply define the observing bands by the sky frequencies they
cover?  If so, MCAF could figure out what to do, based on the
frequency covered by a given spectral window (subband).  If not, things
get complicated, as we've tried to separate knowledge of subbands (formed
in the correlator) from knowledge of basebands (defined at the antenna).
But I should shut up and let those who know what they're doing talk about
this.

>    It also probably makes sense in some circumstances to use one IF for
> 4band and the other for P-band. The possibility also exists, at least in
> theory, to observe with one IF for lowband and the other for one of the
> higher frequency, standard EVLA receivers. Jim Jackson and Chuck Kutz
> have written a memo about this. I am not sure this really makes sense
> but the NRL folks are very keen on doing this. See EVLA memo 155.

Apart from the hardware, this would require some tweaks to the Executor.
Writing the data to the archive, with correct labeling, would not be
difficult.

                  Michael