[evlatests] L-band performance

Chuck Kutz ckutz at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 10 12:02:42 EST 2012

As discussed in the EVLA Coordination meeting yesterday, the L-bands in
antennas 12,13,18,23,and 16 have LNAs that have manifested anomalous
behaviors since the 2nd of December, 2011. This does not mean that the
receivers are unusable, please read Bob Hayward's message regarding this
issue that he posted yesterday.

A complete survey of all L-bands, revealed that antennas 5,7 and 26 need to
be added to the list.  Note, antenna 7 uses a model 350 refrigerator not a
model 1050.

As an aside,  a survey was performed of all the EVLA compliant S-band,
C-band and X-band receivers; all of these receivers are observed to be
presenting nominal parameters.

The Front End group will endeavor to clear up these issues as fast as we
can, but this is going to take a little time. Each receiver's prioritization
for repair work will be based on the functionality of any given receiver
(worst performers first). Since there are no spare EVLA L-band receivers
until the array is fully populated, the array will be less the one receiver
while it is being repaired.

If we tried to skip an upgrade of an L-band receiver(s), the outcome would
be to negatively impact the S-band receiver schedule. We reuse the interim
L-band receiver dewar for the S-band.