[evlatests] L-band performance

Bob Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 9 18:14:22 EST 2012

Just a reminder that the LNAs used in the L-Band receiver are balanced
amplifiers. Unlike the single-ended amplifiers used in all the other
EVLA receivers (except S-Band), a balanced amp may still work function,
more-or-less, when one of its active elements fails.

In a single-ended amp, if the transistor dies or a wire bond pops loose,
the amplifier may well turn into an attenuator, or at the very least, a
low-gain, noisy amplifier. In a balanced amp, the architecture (which
splits the signal with a 180 deg hybrid coupler, amplifies each path
separately, and recombines them in a 2nd coupler), gives you a much
better input return loss (essential for us since 1-2 GHz cryogenic
isolators don't exist) plus 3 dB more headroom. A failure in one of the
two paths will essentially double the noise figure but reduce the gain
by 3 dB.

The L-Band uses two types of balanced amplifiers in each polarization.
The 1st gain block is a low-noise (4K), low-power amplifier with 18 dB
gain. The 2nd gain block is a higher-noise (20K), higher-power
amplifier, also with 18 dB gain. If we have a failure in the low-noise
amp, it may increase the receiver temperature by something less than a
factor of 2 yet drop the gain by only 3 dB. If it happens in the
high-power 2nd stage amp, it may only increase the receiver temperature
by a few Kelvin and also drop the gain by only 3 dB.

We are attempting to determine if the amplifier failures are electrical
in nature (i.e., fried devices) or are a mechanical problem (i.e.,
popped wire bonds). There is circumstantial evidence that most of the
failures are in cryostats with the new beefier Model 1050 refrigerator.
Accordingly, we are also considering doing some vibration tests using
accelerometers to compare the magnitude of the mechanical impulse shock
from the thermal cycling of the cold-head seen on the Model 1050 and
compare it to that seen with the Model 350 fridge that was used -
successfully - on all the Interim L-Band (1.2-2.0 GHz) receivers.

-Bob