[evlatests] A curious focus problem from Ku to K bands

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 9 18:05:49 EST 2012

    In my recent tests, I've noted that when we change frequency from Ku
to K bands, there are five antennas which  *always* take longer for the
unflagged data stream to start up.  Specifically:
    ea02 takes 10 seconds longer to give good data than most others,
    ea08 takes 5 seconds longer,
    ea03, 04 and (less regularly) 13 all take 3 seconds longer than all
the others.
    The effect is seen in all four IFs.  It's not a correlator issue --
the data are present, but are correctly flagged -- the amplitudes during
these intervals are low, but increasing.  So it has to be focus,
pointing, or a slow subreflector.  This last one is unlikely, as this
tardiness only occurs with the transition from Ku to K -- a very short
travel for the subreflector.

    Reviewing the flagging table gives the answer -- it's the focus.  Is
there that large a difference in focus position between these two bands
for those particular antennas?