[evlatests] Tables of 'PDif Compression'

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 26 19:57:59 EDT 2011

    To assist in discussion and perhaps understanding, I have assembled
the attached tables, showing the compression in the demodulated switched
power ('PDif') -- the ratio of the value when on Cygnus A to that when
on cold sky.  It is quite clear that these values have not changed
appreciably over time, since the last time we were looking at these
things (many months ago).

    Note that at S and especially Lband, we understand that we are
overdriving the station board requantizers when we are on Cygnus A.
Tests done last week show that decreasing the power to more appropriate
levels decreases -- but in no way eliminates -- this compression
affect.  Further tests are pending (and are one of the subjects for the
Thursday morning meeting).

    Note also that we have PDif *expansion* on a couple of antennas at
C-band!

    Finally, there is no table attached for the X-band measurements.  At
this band, there are only a few antennas which show any
compression/expansion when on Cygnus A.  Cyg A approximately doubles the
system temperature.  Those antenna-IFs which show more than a 1% effect are:
    6A   0.98
    16A   0.87
    16C   0.98
    16B   0.98
    16D   0.98
    18C   0.98
    25B   0.95

    The AC frequency was 8300 MHz, the BD frequency was 11300 MHz.