[evlatests] Mysterious RFI at L-band ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 29 11:18:32 EST 2011

    Perusal of PDif data leads to interesting curiosities ...

    From the 'stability run' taken last Wednesday night, I noted that
the L-Band 'PDif' values dropped by a relatively small amount (typically
a few percent), in RCP only, for one scan only, for both subbands (i.e.,
for IFs A and B).
    The program 'SPFLG' shows that in that particular scan, a moderately
strong birdie was present at the odd frequency of 1478 MHz -- not a
multiple of the usual suspects.  The 'birdie' is completely absent in
LCP -- less than 1% of the RCP value, which makes it really hard to
explain this as an external source (neither the polarizers nor the
antenna itself is that purely polarized!).  It is seen on all baselines
except the longest -- likely due to fringe winding.  The birdie is seen
in the cross-hands, at a level about 1/10 of that in the RR correlation
-- notably, it is seen both in RL and LR, and is generally stronger in
LR and RL.
    The 'birdie' is barely visible in the autocorrelations, if at all.
But the 'PSum' monitor changes dramatically in some antennas (usually
there is less total power in that particular scan), and hardly changes
at all in others.  Most notably, the PDif and PSum effects are seen
equally in the 2nd IF (IF 'B'), which tells us that the underlying cause
is common to the entire 1 GHz spectrum, and is not limited to the
particular subband where the 'birdie' is visible.
    Unfortunately,  I utilized the old-fashioned 'OSRO' mode to save
disk space, so I have no information on what was *really* going on in
the passband, outside of the two 128 MHz-wide windows.

    It's rough out there at L-band!