[evlatests] Negative Switched Power!!!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri May 27 17:37:18 EDT 2011

    Another curious problem arises with our values of PDif.

    It was noted in the 'solar tests' that for some antennas and bands,
the PDif values averaged slightly negative when we pointed at the Sun.
This cannot be correct for a properly operating system -- individual
values can be negative due to noise fluctuations when the power in the
cal signal is completely overwhelmed by the system/source noise (as is
the case for regular cals when looking at the sun), but the average
cannot be.

    In the antenna 24 tests done two weeks ago, we also turned the
calibration off in order to test for this offset.   This should result
in a 'PDif' value averaging zero, since the system should be
differencing two equal powers.  Non-zero values should only reflect the
noise.

  But -- all four IFs showed a 'negative PDif' when the switched cal
signal was turned off.  The magnitude is significant.  The normal PDif
values should be around 0.5 'counts'.  We see:

    IF A:      offset = -.01 counts.
    IF B:      offset = - .04 counts
    IF C:      offset = -.05 counts
    IF D:      offset = -.01 counts.

    I can imagine one mechanism which would lead to this:  If the on/off
durations used to form the values which are then differenced are not of
equal duration, then there will be an imbalance between the integrated
'on' power and 'off power', leading to an offset.

    How sure are we that the 'on' and 'off' durations are precisely equal?