[evlatests] More on 128 MHz comb

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 14 17:00:47 EDT 2011

    The limited spectral sweep done by Ken this morning has already
given us a lot of information on this 128 MHz comb.

    As noted earlier, it is limited to the antennas towards the end of
the north arm, and appears strongest on 8 * 10.

    It is in both polarizations, and is seen in both cross-power and
autocorrelations.

    It is seen at L, S, and C bands.  The reason that most of the
earlier reports have singled out S-band is that the strength of the comb
is *much, much* stronger in S-band than in any other.

    The odd harmonics are much stronger than the even.  Most even
harmonics are not visible -- the strongest is the 32nd harmonic -- at
4096 MHz.  (But I imagine this one could have a different origin).

    The lowest frequency I could find the line was at 1408 MHz (11th
harmonic).  The highest was at 4992 MHz.  Both of these are weak
compared to the Sband harmnics.

    The strongest harmonic is the 25th, which is at 3200 MHz.  To a
reasonable approximation, the harmonics weaken uniformly for both higher
and lower harmonics.

    There are many other narrow responses seen, not multiples of 128
MHz.  A complete tabulation will be made when all the data are available.