[evlatests] Using S-band is Tough!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 1 18:39:26 EDT 2011

    Todd:

    Thanks for this.
    We learned about the interesting Sirius orbits about 3 years ago,
when Bob Hayward and I did the first S-band antenna tests.  Naively
thinking that Sirius was geostationary (and conveniently ignoring the
instructions that came with my Sirius receiver that told me to point the
antenna a bit to the east), we did sky dips to characterize the
spillover, etc.  At elevation 50 degrees, we noted the bandpass totally
collapsed due to some whopping great signal.  With some help from Vivek,
we later discovered that we had hit one of those three satellites 'dead
on'!   Fortunately, even the VLA's forward gain is not enough to cause
damage to the amplifiers...  The Sirius orbit is highly elliptical, with
the apogee high above Nebraska, and the perigee more or less where
Tierra del Fuego is.  Indeed, the three satellites are always above the
same hemisphere!   It took me a while to figure out why this is.  :-)

    Regarding 'zero dec' for geostationary satellites -- I meant to type
'zero dec or so', where the 'or so' was something like 10 degrees.  But
actually, it's quite a bit more.  Vivek has just posted on the wall the
az-el plot for a whole set of geostationary satellites.  Some of them
are not very stationary, having been allowed to wander about in
elevation by 15 or degrees or more above and below the 'belt'.   Most of
the geostationary satellite are better behaved than this, however.

    We've got to figure out how best to handle this tough observing
neighborhood.  It's worse than L-band by quite a factor (due mostly to
the very high powers).

    Rick