[evlatests] Using S-band is Tough!

Todd R. Hunter thunter at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 1 17:47:50 EDT 2011

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Frazer Owen wrote:

> Rick Perley wrote:
>>     Jim:
>>
>>     We'll need filters in two IFs (like, A and C), for at least a couple
>> of antennas.  I don't think we need as many as four (we're not checking
>> closure here).
>>
>>     Anybody else with an opinion?
>>

>   If I understand correctly XM/Sirius affects all declinations, so it
> makes sense to block it out.

The Sirius satellites do have a very interesting elliptical orbit that
allows them to maintain significantly higher elevations than the
geostationary band as viewed from North America for over 8 hours. This
probably helps reception in inner cities.  There are 3 of them equally
spaced to provide 24 hour coverage (there may be more today, this was 3
years ago). I could post plots if people are interested.

> However, the downlinks only affect 0 dec so

I cannot resist offering a small correction here.  Although geostationary
satellites orbit above the equator, they do not appear at 0.0 dec unless
you observe them from the equator. From the EVLA latitude, they appear at
about -5.5 deg dec. This shift is due to their relatively small distance
in units of Earth radii. I remember calculating this effect back in high
school when our earth science class was donated a dish antenna so that we
could receive GOES images in addition to the polar orbiters we tracked
with crossed yagis.

Of course, older satellites whose orbits are no longer well-controlled can
still be geosynchronous (not stationary) but can have significant diural
variations in declination.

Todd