[evlatests] L-band 'RSRO' amplitude and phase stability

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 29 10:28:00 EDT 2010

    The short 'wideband' test from Sunday evening has now been reviewed
for phase and amplitude stability.

    In general, the news is very good.  I utilized subbands 4 and 7 for
this analysis, as the widespread RFI make full analysis tedious.  All
indications are that these two subbands represent the others well.
Subband 4 is from the 'AC' IF pair, and is centered at 1448 MHz.
Subband 7 is from the 'BD' IF pair, and is centered at 1840 MHz.

    1)  Amplitude stability.

    * Three antenna showed time variable gains on all IFs -- these are
clearly due to shadowing.  I had imported the 'uvflg' file sent my
Michael, but apparently the shadow flags are now present.  (I thought
they were supposed to be?)
In reviewing the messages offered by 'UVFLG' (which reads the 'uvflg'
file), I see the only flagging messages are for 'subreflector error',
'not on source', and 'focus'.  Nothing about shadowing.  (Also, these
messages do not identify the antenna, IF, or time -- it would be very
useful if they would!).

    * Antenna ea12 has dramatic variability on IF 'C' only -- from 0.1
to 1 dB.

    * Antenna ea25, has *spectacular* (3 dB or more) variability on IFs
A and B only (RCP).

    * Antenna ea28, on IFs C and D (LCP) has one scan where the
amplitudes vary by factors of 50% or more on 1-second timescales, yet
the phases are stable and normal.  (Weird!)

       Other than these, all operating antennas gave excellent stability.

    2) Phase stability.

       * Antenna ea11, in IFs BD only had a single 150 degree phase jump
in the middle of the run.

       * Antenna ea14, in IFs B and D only, had a small 20 degree phase
jump within a few minutes of the beginning of the run.

       * Antenna ea25, in IFs A and B (RCP) had large phase jumps, which
match the spectacular amplitude changes noted above (meaning, they occur
at the same time).

       * Antenna ea08, on IFs A and C has a 160 degree phase jump, also
within a few minutes of the beginning.

    Some antennas showed a ~10 degree phase difference between the flux
calibrator (3C295) and the target soruce (J1822-0938) -- these are
separated by more than 1 radian.