[evlatests] L-band 'RSRO' amplitude and phase stability

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 29 10:58:00 EDT 2010

>    1)  Amplitude stability.
>
>    * Three antenna showed time variable gains on all IFs -- these are
> clearly due to shadowing.  I had imported the 'uvflg' file sent my
> Michael, but apparently the shadow flags are now present.  (I thought
> they were supposed to be?)
> In reviewing the messages offered by 'UVFLG' (which reads the 'uvflg'
> file), I see the only flagging messages are for 'subreflector error',
> 'not on source', and 'focus'.  Nothing about shadowing.  (Also, these
> messages do not identify the antenna, IF, or time -- it would be very
> useful if they would!).

The .uvflg file I gave you has ONLY the on-line flags.  Shadowing is
taken care of in post-processing, either in CASA or AIPS; Amy has just
fixed up the AIPS code I gather, so that would be worth running & testing
(APARM(5) =25 in UVFLG).

If you want to see the ant/IF/time information on the flags, simply
look at the .uvflg table itself, which has all that information in a very
simple format.

>    * Antenna ea12 has dramatic variability on IF 'C' only -- from 0.1
> to 1 dB.
>
>    * Antenna ea25, has *spectacular* (3 dB or more) variability on IFs
> A and B only (RCP).

I've seen both of these at other bands as well.

             Michael