[evlatests] Antenna 1 at Ka-band

Bob Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 14 10:55:48 EST 2010

More accurate details to Chuck's description below.

It was the RCP downconverter that failed (not the LCP). It was the first
prototype MMIC unit we had received from Caltech. One of the bonds had
in the IF path had lifted and was quickly rebonded here. However, as the
receiver was our first prototype (S/N 01), it had several other issues
that needed to be addressed before returning it to the Array. Theses
improvements include...

- Helicoils inserted into the stripped feed flange holes on the top
plate in order to allow the horn be tightened down snuggly again.

- Replacing the early fixed gain LO Ref amp with the newer limiting
amplifier version.

- Since we had the Dewar open, we rearranged and replaced some of the
waveguide and coax plumbing to make it look more like our later
production units.

- Replacing the early version of the Diode Protection Card with the
latest version so it will provide proper Serial Number read-back.

There are bigger upgrades that the receiver will eventually need
(improved downconverters, a new top plate and thermal transition) but
these will be implemented in 2012 or later.

-Bob