[evlatests] P-band Dipole Removal?

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri May 29 16:53:55 EDT 2009

    I was on antenna 24 today, conducting a tour for some of the
participants in the recent workshop.  While there, I noticed that the
P-band dipole on that antenna is mis-oriented -- it is supposed to line
up with the quadrupod legs, but in fact it is at a 45 degree angle.

    Given that we've essentially shut down the P-band system, I wonder
if it would be possible to simply remove the P-band dipoles from antenna
24, as this is the 'official testing antenna', and it would be useful to
have any non-essential (and 'non-native') equipment absent.  Even
better, it would be very useful to do a series of sensitivity tests with
the dipole on (and aligned properly), then off, to see what the effect
of the dipole has on system performance.

    Comments?