[evlatests] Troubles with 0.416 second integrations

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri May 22 16:58:54 EDT 2009

    Bob Sault and I have been investigating EVLA polarizer
characteristics (a memo will come out Monday on the subject).   As often
seems the case, this detailed work has revealed other issues ...

    We took the data in two sessions, the first, at C-band, was in early
April, and used 1.67 seconds averaging.
    The second, at C and K bands, was in late April, and used 0.4166
second averaging.

    The data were filled as correlation coefficients.  For all
observations, the correlator coefficient values were at the correct level.

    After calibration, histograms of the noise were made.  In all cases,
the widths of these, in all corrrelation products (parallel and
cross-hand) were as expected.

    BUT:

    The rms noise in all images made with the 0.417 sec averages were a
factor of three to six too high, while the rms noise in images made with
the 1.67 second data were close to the expected values ('close' means to
within 20%).

    At Ken's suggestion, I coherently averaged the 0.417 second data to
3.33 seconds.  There was no change in the map rms noise.  Of course, the
histogram widths narrowed by the expected factor.

    The only explanation I can think of is that the fast-dump data has a
correlator-based offset which is too small to be visible in the
histograms.  But any such offset must persist much longer than 3.3
seconds.

    It would be prudent to not use this fast-dump option for sensitive
imaging experiments.  (Fortunately, few users know of this option, and
those who do are unlikely to use it.  It's mostly useful for diagnostic
purposes).