[evlatests] Some Good WIDAR news

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 31 16:12:04 EDT 2009

Folks-

FYI,

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Rick Perley wrote:

>    The full 100 MHz image has an impressive peak/noise of 218,000:1,

I've achieved essentially the same dynamic range processing this data
entirely in CASA, for roughly the same editing/calibration:  I used 85 MHz
bandwidth, 10s bandpass timescale in the selfcal, and reached ~200-230k:1
depending upon just where I measured the rms in the upper left-hand corner
(of the 180 deg rotated image).

And yes, it gets nearly an order of magnitude worse in the middle.  Now
that the bandpass is so much more carefully treated (to 10s!), these
remaining closure errors could originate in the D-term contribution to the
RR correlation which is made quite interesting by virtue of the 11%
polarization of 3C286.  As I noted in the WIDAR PTC analyses last fall,
even the constant (non-source-pol) closure-violating contribution of the
instrumental polarization (D^2 term, where D is a few %) should be kicking
in by 30-40k:1 (for 351 baselines).  The contribution from the source-poln
terms vary with parallactic angle, but are larger (for 3C286)
instantaneously.

-George