[evlatests] Some Good WIDAR news

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 30 17:54:12 EDT 2009

    Imaging of the fourth L-band sub-band (1684 -- 1812 MHz) has given
some impressive results.

    This sub-band is nearly completely free of RFI, so I separated it
out as a separate database.   Editing and calibrating it went by
standard methods.  A single (5-hour long) BP was done.
    The data were split out into a database with 10 channels, each of 10
MHz width, to reduce chromatic aberrations.  The bandpass program BPASS
was used to generated time-frequency solutions, every 15 seconds.
Discrepant data were flagged (nearly all in the first 10 Mhz subband,
which had some light RFI).

    The full 100 MHz image has an impressive peak/noise of 218,000:1,
using a far corner to estimate the noise.  The 'noise' near the 13,000
mJy point source is a few times larger, and is clearly due to slowly
changing errors which are not being calibrated out.  I have not
attempted a closure calibration  yet.
    A single 10 MHz BW image was made -- the error patterns are the same
(indeed, each of the 10 channels shows the same error pattern).  The
far-out noise is larger by a factor of 2.5, rather than 3 as expected --
meaning the noise is not decreasing as sqrt(B).  I checked the noise in
each of the 10 individual pseudo-continuum images -- except for the
first (RFI), the center 7 'channels' have the same noise (0.16 mJy).
Channels 2 and 10 are 0.19.  Channel 1 is 0.26 (presumably due to
left-over RFI).

    Bottom Line:  The images are very good.  There is no sign of serious
errors.