[evlatests] WIDAR wobbles vs. time, contd.

Vivek Dhawan vdhawan at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 15 23:01:51 EDT 2009

At this morning's meeting it was though worthwhile to dig a bit more.

For my Rupee's worth (~2 cents) this is not the cause of the imaging
troubles, I think it averages out. But that's just a guess - it would
be nice to squash it.

-----------------------

Data is C band, July 09 UT 21-22:30, 3C273 (~30Jy say).

a. The wobbles are non-closing (not antenna based), details below.

b. There are a variety of periods, a few Hz, quite a bit faster then the
    fringe rate.

c. The periods do change over an hour, but I see no way to relate them to
    the corresponding fringe rate changes.

d. There is no differential in the wobble across the band = it is _not_
    a delay change = there is no delay jitter associated with the wobbles.
Plot 1: red= phase wobbles, averaged over band. blue= phase jump at
    delay change, differential between low/high half of band. time span =
    10 sec, 40ms steps.

e. The noise-diode switching at 9.6Hz is seen at ~few % in the autocor
    and is at about 0.1-1% of the cross-correlation amplitude on most
    baselines. Assuming 30K Tsys, 3K noise injection, that is ~30Jy, so
    the f_shift is suppressing the noise diode by a factor of >100 (1000
    on most baselines), else it would be comparable to 3C273.

f. The 9.6Hz is strongest on all baselines to ant 19, which is an offender
    at other wobble frequencies. Otherwise, I see no relation between the
    strength of the 9.6 and the other modulations. i.e. no clear sign of
    cross talk between antennas. I dont see how to rule out beat notes.

g. I see no way with astronomical or even radiated cross-talk, to make
    the amplitude and phase signatures we see. Not sure of this argument,
    but I think all these have to be a small vector rotating at a smooth
    and Earth-related rate, perturbing a large signal vector. This gives
    equal and orthogonal real/imaginary wobbles, not what we see.

Plot 2. = Example of modulation = power spectrum of visibility
    variation. baselines are 2-18, 2-19, 18-19 (top left, Right, bottom)
    Peak is off the top at ~300 units.

h. Details of which baselines have what: (most have 9.6Hz at 0.2% or so).
    I think this says that the antennas with even slot IDs are worse -
    right Michael?

1-*   clean
2-18 ~1.9Hz 1% of cross corr peak on 3C273
2-19  3.7Hz 5%
2-28 ~1Hz   2%
3-*   clean
9-*   5Hz   weak ~0.2%
9-18  6.5Hz 1%
18-19 6.5Hz 2%
19-*  9.6Hz 1-2% noise diode
19-24 2Hz   2%
19-28 3Hz   8%
23-*  clean (23-3, 23-19, 23-25 have 9.6Hz 1%)