[evlatests] Progress on WIDAR Imaging Woes

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 14 12:58:10 EDT 2009

    Considerable progress has been made on identifying our problem.

    I'm using the Sunday test database, where Michael observed our
favorite northern calibrator in five different positions:
On-Axis, and offset by 5, 10, 15 and 20 arcminutes.   The test lasted
one hour, and was conducted at L-band, with the four sub-bands chosen to
be relatively RFI-free.

    The quality of the data, as viewed by (say) SPFLG, is excellent.
All the periodic, large amplitude wobbles (of typical periods a few
seconds) which littered our previous experiments at L-band are gone.
(I take this as strong evidence that those wobbles were of solar origin,
as a known sunspot group was present then, and has rotated to be out of
view now).

    Bandpass and gain calibration was done in standard ways.  On-axis
phase and amplitude stability were *excellent*.    If all were operating
as they should, we should expect excellent images of the off-axis
observations.

    But they are terrible.

    I used a single channel (500 kHz) from the center of the band, to
further diagnose the problems.  The visibility amplitudes of this
channel, for each of the five positions, give exactly the expected
amplitudes.  The antennas were indeed pointed where Michael told them to
go.

    However, the images of the 5 positions give a very different
result:  The 'on axis' image has the correct flux at the center, but the
image is of poor quality, with the background sources barely visible.
The images of the four offset positions all show far too little flux
density -- but the positions of the peaks on each are correct.  This is
very clear evidence that *most* of the baselines which go into the image
are correct in amplitude and phase, and that a subset are not.

    To find which ones are incorrect, I extracted a single channel (the
center channel) data for the observations of the 15 arcminute offset
source -- the flux density is at half the on-beam value.  I then
ran UVSUB on this single-channel, removing the known flux density from
the known position.  One can then play with this differential
database.    The remarkable results are below:

    1) All visibilities amongst the 8 lowest numbered antennas are
correct -- the residuals amplitudes are in the noise.

    2) All visibilities connected to antennas 25 and 28 are wrong.  But
they are not randomly wrong ... (read on ...)

    2a)  The differential amplitudes of all baselines connected to
either 25 or 28 are either equal to the unsubtracted flux, or double the
unsubtracted (i.e. the original and correct) flux.  There are far more
of the latter than the former.

    2b) Plotting the real vs. the imaginary parts yields more remarkable
results.  The differentials fill two rings in the complex plane,
corresponding to the two different amplitudes noted above.  Plotting
individual baselines in the complex plane shows that each the
indidividual data points from each scan cluster at a particular location
in the two rings, but each scan's cluster is in a different place.  That
is, the error either changes slowly in time, or from scan to scan.
(There are five scans at each offset position, separated by about 12
minutes).    For some of the shorter baselines, the 'clusters' clearly
move around the ring in a orderly fashion.    It is interesting that for
baseline 25 x 28, the clusters are oriented vertically --- that is, the
real part of the error is zero, the imaginary part is found in one of
four different places -- equal to the true amplitude, or its negated
value, or double the true amplitude, or its negated value.

    I believe that these characteristics are sufficient to explain all
the imaging characteristics that we have seen, at all bands.  What has
not yet been discovered is how this problem is generated.  George has
confirmed that CASA sees the same effects.  He has already shown that by
removing all data from these two antennas, the images are vastly
improved, and background sources are properly showing up.