[evlatests] WIDAR wobbles vs. time, contd.

Barry Clark bclark at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 16 15:12:09 EDT 2009

The fact that you see a weak signal at 9.6 Hz is interesting.  This is
the noise diode modulation, which is, it says here, a simple additive
noise that should not show up in correlations at all.  I can think of
three mechanisms for having it do so.  1). Radiation from one antenna
to another.  This seems unlikely to me. 2).  Some non-linearity in
the system.  My offhand candidate for the non-linearity would be
unequally spaced levels in the A/D.  From that source, 0.1% sounds
plausible, 1% does not.  3.  Introduction of a short spike which
actually correlates.  We have baselines of order a microsecond here,
so to correlate, the spike would have to last that long, ringing away
at 5 GHz.  Seems implausible - the required Q is too large.