[evlatests] Baseline labels are OK

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 2 15:54:58 EDT 2009

     Some more trials on the data at hand show:

    1) I compared the deep 0217 C-band image taken with the full array
(via the old correlator) with that taken with the 10 WIDAR antennas.
Both show a single background source.  I confirm that the WIDAR position
of this is *exactly* opposite (to within one cell on the map, and it is
312 arcseconds from the calibrator).

    2) I attempted imaging this field with various subsets of the WIDAR
dataset:  The 5 'flipper' antennas, the 5 'unflipper' antennas, the
baselines between these two groups, antenna 1 vs. the others, in an
attempt to see if any of these subsets makes a substantially different
image.  All images give the same result.  The amplitude of the
background source in the WIDAR dataset is about half of that for the VLA
-- but this is nearly certainly due to bandwidth smearing, as I used a
110 MHz-wide single channel formed from the spectral line data.  (I'll
confirm this with the fundamental data later).

    3) I returned to the short observation of 3C273 taken at X-band.  I
have an ancient plot of the visibility function, from which I must
conclude that my earlier conclusion about the visibilities being
assigned to the wrong baselines cannot be supported -- the baseline
coverage and observation duration are not sufficient to deduce with
certainty the correct visibility envelope.  These data do not have a
point-source calibrator, so there is no easy way to calibrate the data.
I attempted self-calibration, but it will not converge on a suitable
timescale.  (Interpretation:  It will be faster to take some more data,
with a suitable calibrator.)

    Thus, I conclude:

    1) There is good evidence we have a phase convention backwards.
    2) It seems less likely that we have scrambled the visibilities
amongst the baselines.

    I need a cleaner and more extensive dataset to confirm the above.  I
suggest at least a couple hours on 3C273, with regular observation of a
nearby calibrator, at X-band.