[evlatests] Baseline labels are OK

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 2 14:41:08 EDT 2009

Ken and I observed a strong source with WIDAR this morning at C band,
using our standard WIDAR-0 setup, but strongly attenuating the signal
from each WIDAR antenna in turn, for one minute each (i.e., 1 minute with
ant 1 dead; 1 min with ant 2 dead; etc.).

I checked for this attenuation by (1) lagfan/lagcomp on the lag frames,
and (2) VPLOTting the data (amp vs. time for each baseline) as passed
through to AIPS, averaging over the central two channels of IF 1 = subband 1.
Both the lag frames (blf) and the data passed through to AIPS accurately
reflect the changing attenuation on all baselines.  Thus the labelling of
the antennas/baselines is correct.

Rick previously found that the uvw's are also correct; and his C band images
show that we can correctly image a double at C band, at least to within a
180-degree flip about the origin.

So why are the L band maps from WIDAR data so clearly wrong?