[evlatests] Basic results from first Orion database

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 22 10:55:52 EST 2009

    Michael has observed the Orion core in three 'chunks', each 1.024
GHz wide.  I have done the basic calibration for the first of these --
23630 to 25655 MHz.

    All antennas fringe nicely, although antenna 27 is (as seems to be
usual, for reasons unknown) weak by a factor of at least 10.
    There are a very small number of 'zero records' -- 0.018% of the
visibility data are zeroed.  These are easily identified and removed.  I
see no evidence for any significant number of reduced visibilities that
cannot be ascribed to antennas off source, or other antenna-based effects.

   I used POSSM to check a few of the raw spectra, looking for
'displaced' subbands.  All spectra were continuous in amplitude and
phase across subbands.

    Basic calibration was done:  FRING to find the delays.  SETJY/GETJY
to establish the flux densities.  CALIB to calibrate the subband gains,
BPASS to remove the bandpass shapes.

    The calibrated spectra are -- with a few exceptions -- smooth in
amplitude and phase across subband boundaries.  The only exceptions are
between subband 1 and 2, where some baselines show a small apparent step
in amplitude.    No explanation is offered, other than the obvious one
that this was introduced by the calibration, since no step occurred in
the raw data.  Subband 1 is peculiar  -- there is clearly very high
aliasing of external signal on its lower end -- perhaps some other
effects are making antenna-based calibration ineffective in this
subband.  (That is, the data don't close).

    At least 9 spectral lines are visible in short (couple of minute)
vector integrations.

    I tried making an image of the continuum and of one of the lines --
but the results of this were puzzling.  It would be good if somebody who
has knowledge of the expected structure could get involved now.

    Rick