[evlatests] Antenna 8 polarization

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 30 18:32:19 EDT 2009

Rick-

Nicely done!   That's one way to get _differential_ parallactic
angle coverage on the EVLA a la VLBI.

A couple of points:

1.  A rotation of exactly 90 degrees is fortuitous.  Anything
else would require a third position angle or a careful
consideration of the _direction_ of rotation.   (Are there
rotation "choices"?)

2. Was the whole dewar rotated?  I.e., the receiver stayed cold
throughout?   Your analysis of course depends on the stability
of the D-terms, even when the physical rotation is introduced.  In
the VLA D-term stability analyses, departures from stability were
matched to maintenance events that included (but not necessarily
limited to) warming up the receiver.   Departures from stability
induced in this manner should be ruled out.

3. Doing this with some frequency resolution might also enable
disentangling the receiver D-term contribution from the antenna
(standing waves, etc.).

-George