[evlatests] Antenna 8 polarization

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 30 17:39:31 EDT 2009

    The 6cm receiver on antenna 8 was correctly re-oriented yesterday
(having been found to have been mounted 90 degrees away from the
standard position), and a quick observation of an unpolarized source
made at noon today.
    The cross-polarization between antenna 8 and all the other wide-band
antennas is now around 4%, rather than the 15% that was seen on the
weekend data.

    But we can do a little more with these data.  Presuming that all the
observed cross-polarization is due to the receiver (and that none of it
is due to the antenna), rotating the feed by 90 degrees flips the sign
of the cross-polarized contribution from that antenna.  So, if on a
single baseline observed an unpolarized source, the two antennas both
have their feeds oriented normally, the RL correlator data, after
calibration for parallel-hand gains, gives an output given by:

RL = (Dr1 + Dl2*)I

where I is the total intensity.
If antenna 2's receiver is rotated by 90 degrees, the relation becomes

RL = (Dr1 - Dl2*)I

The sum and differences give us the actual D terms amplitude and phase.

I tried this, by hand, on a single baseline, 28 x 8.  I get:

Dl28 = 5.8% at pa = 113.
Dr8 = 8.6% at pa = -52.

Note that these are fairly high, and that their phases are nearly in
opposition (meaning, physically, that the R and L antenna ellipticities
are nearly orthogonal).  This explains why, when in the correct
orientation the polarization is seen to be low (the vector sum nearly
cancels the contributions), while when one feed is rotated by 90 degrees
(which rotates the D-term by 180 degrees), the observed polarization is
very high (the vector amplitudes very nearly add tip to tail).

This procedure can be done, using the data in hand, to derive the
absolute cross polarizations for every antenna in the array.  If we want
to do this for every band, we'll need one antenna's feeds to be
similarly rotated, for a little while ...