[evlatests] Polarization Tests -- all is well!

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 6 02:24:25 EST 2008

Folks,

For the record, perhaps I can shed a bit more light on the nature and
impact of the FILLM problem Rick notes in his previous email.  (Perhaps
this will be of help also in forming whatever announcement is forwarded to
polarization observers affected by this bug.)

I apologize in advance for the length of this email; understanding the
apparently disproportionate impact of this otherwise fairly subtle bug
requires some patience.  But it all makes sense in the end!  (This email
is not much longer than Rick's!)

>    Yesterday, George and Steve noted an inconsistency between data
> filled into CASA and AIPS in the nominal sensitivities between the RL
> and LR correlations.  Eric quickly found that for some baselines, the
> 'R' and 'L' system temperature data were reversed by AIPS upon filling.

Actually, the precise nature of the problem was discovered in the course
of some careful comparisons (performed in CASA and, believe it or not,
good ol' glish!) of data filled by FILLM and the CASA equivalent.  In
these comparisons, I discovered that the FILLM cross-hand _correlation_
pair for some baselines were scaled by the nominal sensitivities in
reverse order.  The specific baselines affected are those which FILLM
"flips" in order to ensure that the first antenna in the baseline has the
lower number (see below for a complete description).  I supplied Eric with
a description of my findings---mostly, but not yet completely certain that
this wasn't a bug in CASA.  He quickly confirmed my suspicions and then
(even quicker) corrected what was indeed a bug in FILLM.  A nice
collaboration between CASA and AIPS, I think, as such a bug is much, much
easier to uncover when a comparison with an independent filler is
possible.  All of this was achieved in less than 24 hours.  Thanks are due
Eric for responding to my query so quickly.

>    We are still trying to understand just how these reversed weights
> can have so dramatic an effect on the linear polarization data (it's not
> elementary, as the polarization programs are involved in the process).

The point is that it is _not_ merely the weights that are "reversed".
For the affected baselines, the cross-hand correlations themselves have
been mis-scaled.

The online nominal sensitivity estimates (~Tsys) are stored in the archive
for both polarizations on each antenna.  Since the modcomp shutdown, it
has been the responsiblity of fillers (FILLM and the CASA equivalent) to
apply these factors in pairs (with sqrt) to each of the correlations.
Now, when a baseline is "flipped" by FILLM to ensure "proper" antenna
order, (1) all of the correlations are conjugated (i.e., moved to the
conjugate point in the uv-plane--they are "Hermitian"; we also change the
sign of u and v), and (2) The RL and LR correlations are exchanged.  The
cross-hand exchange occurs because (for baseline i-j) the RL correlation
(RiLj) becomes an LR correlation (LjRi), and vice-versa, and we have to
maintain the canonical order for the crosshands (RL then LR).  The FILLM
problem occurred because the baseline flip was occuring before the
formation of the antenna- and polariziation-based nominal sensitivity
products and their application, and this was not aware of the RL/LR
exchange.  So RL was getting LR's nominal sensitivity scaling and LR was
getting RL's.  Nothing more.  Unless the Tsys estimates happen to be
identical for both polarizations on both antennas, the RL and LR
correlations _and_ weights will be mis-scaled relative to each other.
The parallel hands are entirely unaffected.

In my diagnosis, the clinching facts were that (1) the CASA/AIPS
comparison was failing only for baselines flipped by AIPS FILLM (CASA,
somewhat notoriously, but in hindsight, thankfully, doesn't do these
flips!), and (2) that the RL mis-scaling was the inverse of the LR
mis-scaling.  (This second point has relevance for the analysis described
below.)  In all fairness, I should point out that the CASA filler suffered
an almost identical pathology until recently because we reorder the
correlations for all baselines from [RR,LL,RL,LR] to [RR,RL,LR,LL] (to
make the matrix algebra appear more conventional; alas, with some expense
in filling performance).  In our "correlation flip", ironically, we were
making the corresponding mistake in the nominal sensitivity application.
(Some degree of familiarity with this effect was, indeed, a helpful aid in
the present diagnosis!)

NOW, the upshot for polarization calibration and imaging is that none of
the conventional calibration methods compensate for scaling
errors--effectively, an a priori mis-calibration--which occur _only_ in
the cross-hands and on only _some_ of the baselines.  This is essentially
a very selective cross-hand-only closure error---exactly what Rick
reported for his 3C273 observations (filled with nom sens scaling turned
ON).  Note that when Tsys is correctly applied to all correlations, the
ordinary gain calibration methods can usually correct for (modest) errors
in the Tsys estimates used in the initial scaling, and the cross-hands
benefit implicitly from this recovery.  Not so here.  The present errors
are invisible to the parallel hand calibration, and persist throughout the
processing (likely doing unknown and unfathomable harm to the D-term
calibration!), and showing up in the "calibrated" data.

As a point of reference, in my CASA/AIPS comparison (C-band, B-array, one
scan on 3C48, POLCAL data from December 2007, on a baseline requiring this
now infamous flip), I observed (pseudo-) Q and U phases (calculated from
uncalibrated data) systematically in error by a 5-10 degrees relative to
the same quantities formed from correctly scaled data.  Since nothing in
the calibration method can fix this (and the D-term calibration might, in
fact, aggravate it), I am not at all surprised by ~30 degree phase errors
in Rick's Q and U "calibrated" visibilities for the worst offenders.

But we can actually characterize the phase errors more precisely.
Nominally, the relevant quantity is the ratio of the cross-hand nominal
sensitivity factors (sqrt of the ratio of the cross-polarization Tsys
products).  Looking at the data weights, these ratios apparently can
differ from unity by several 10s of percent.  (NB: it is not the _true_
Tsys that is relevant here, but rather the _reported_ Tsys, which might be
significantly in error---indeed, Rick opted to fill simple correlation
coefficients in earlier polarization observations to avoid the unwelcome
effects of spurious Tsys.)  Note especially that this ratio affects RL and
LR in the opposite sense, so the cross-hand scaling imbalance is, in fact,
the _square_ of this ratio.

Now, the formation of Q and U involve delicately balanced sums of the
cross-hands.  Formally:  Q = (RL+LR)/2 and U = (RL-LR)/(2i).  So, if
RL=Q+iU and LR=Q-iU (point-like polarizaiton at the phase center), we only
get Q back identically from the crosshands if the (RL+LR)/2 sum balances
to make the imaginary part cancel (or, by accident, if U=0).

If the ratio described above is 'a', our "Q" estimate is, in general:

     "Q" = (a*RL + LR/a)/2 = (a+1/a)*Q/2 + i(a-1/a)*U/2

                         ( = Q  iff a=1 )

The phase of this Q estimate is, in general:

               atan( (U*(a^2-1)) / (Q*(a^2+1)) )

This is zero for a=1, as expected.  It can be arbitrarily large, even for
modest non-unity a, if U >> Q.  E.g., for a=1.1 and (true) U/Q=6 (quite
plausible), the phase error is 30 degrees.

Viola!

Cheers,
-George