[evlatests] Polarization Tests -- all is well!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 5 19:54:46 EST 2008

    For those wanting only an 'executive summary':

    An important error in FILLM has been found and repaired, the result
of which is that the problems noted recently in polarization data are
completely removed.  At this point, all seems quite perfect in EVLA
polarimetry.   I also find that EVLA sensitivities are exactly as
expected.

    Details:

    I reported a couple weeks ago that a 'polarization spectral line'
observation taken earlier in the month at X-band had shown peculiar
amplitude and phase offsets in the Stokes 'Q' and 'U' visibilities of
3C286 and 3C273, the like of which I had not seen before.  The offsets
were especially large -- up to 30 degrees in phase -- for antennas 14
and 15, but it was clear that virtually all antennas (both VLA and EVLA)
were affected to some degree at some times.
    A review of my polarization data of the same sources, taken in
October in 50MHz continuum, showed no such effect.

    Last weekend, I observed these same two sources, plus the totally
unpolarized source OQ208 (thanks to George M.!), in both 50 MHz
continuum, and in the same 12.5 MHz polarization spectral line mode used
last month.  The observations were all at X-band, with 3.3 seconds
integration.

    Careful calibration and imaging showed the same peculiar offsets,
but in both line and continuum, although now the offsets were largest in
15, and nearly absent in antenna 14.   What could be happening?

    Yesterday, George and Steve noted an inconsistency between data
filled into CASA and AIPS in the nominal sensitivities between the RL
and LR correlations.  Eric quickly found that for some baselines, the
'R' and 'L' system temperature data were reversed by AIPS upon filling.
I thus re-filled and re-calibrated the weekend tests, using the
corrected software -- and -- voila! -- all phase and amplitude offsets
in the Q and U data are gone, in both line and continuum files.

    We are still trying to understand just how these reversed weights
can have so dramatic an effect on the linear polarization data (it's not
elementary, as the polarization programs are involved in the process).
It is clear that data filled as correlation coefficients, and which are
not calibrated via the system temperature data, are not affected by this
problem.  All data taken since the Modcomps were turned off, which were
filled as visibilities, or as correlation coefficients which
subsequently had the system temperature data applied, are affected.  My
October data were filled as correlation coefficients, and hence were not
affected by this problem, which explains the absence of the effect in
those observations.
The parallel-hand observations are not affected, as the reversal is
calibrated out.

    I made images of the sources, with outstanding results:

For OQ208, which has effectively no polarized flux density at all ( less
than 0.15%), the naturally weighted Stokes 'Q' image had an rms noise of
70 microJy.  With 530,000 visibilities, each of 6.2 MHz BW and 3.3
seconds integration, the theoretical expectation is 60 microJy.  For the
EVLA-only image, we got an rms 140 microJy, for the VLA-only, 190
microJy.  The Stokes Q and U images show barely detectable point-sources
of emission, with nearly no nearly 'disturbances' in the map which would
be the sign of varying cross-polarization

For 3C286, the uniform-weighted images are almost at the theoretical
noise limit in all four (I,Q,U,V) Stokes images.  The V image shows no
emission at all (as expected for self-calibrated data -- in truth, there
is a small V component, but this is not known to the calibration
process, and cannot be detected without another source being utilized
for calibration).

3C273 provided a 100,000:1 dynamic range image, without my using any
'heroic' measures for editing.  The noise limits in Q and U are
significantly (factor of 2 or so) above the expected noise -- this is
likely an effect of ignoring 2nd order leakage from the Stokes I image.
For this object, the I flux is 32000 mJy, while the noise in the Q and U
images are less than 0.5 mJy.