[evlatests] EVLA Polarimetry, continuum

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 30 13:44:20 EST 2008

    I've reduced the continuum polarimetry test from last night.  The
results are excellent.

    The source was 3C147, which provides only 5 mJy of polarized flux --
with Stokes ' I = 22 Jy, this is a negligibly low fractional
polarization.   Another advantage of this source is that we can
completely ignore any ionospheric faraday rotation effects -- as there
is no plane of polarization to suffer rotation.

    The gain-calibrated cross-hand correlations are -- with a single
exception -- nearly perfectly steady.  The variations seen last fall are
completely absent, except in antenna 11, which shows a large variability
in both amplitude and phase.  More on this later.

   When referenced to an EVLA antenna, I find that EVLA antennas are
only slightly more highly polarized than VLA antennas.  When referenced
to a VLA antenna, VLA antennas are considerably better than EVLA
antennas.  The highest cross-polarizations are seen on VLA -- EVLA
baselines.  But there is no indication that EVLA antennas are more
variable in cross-polarization than VLA antennas.  Some slight trends in
cross-hand response (at a fraction of 1%, or a few degrees) are seen on
timescales of hours -- these deserve some more investigation.

    EVLA antenna 11 is spectacularly different than all others.  It
appears fairly clear that this antenna has two polarization states --
one steady, and another which is variable, and which lasts about one
hour.  The variable component is seen in both amplitude and phase.

    Images were made in all polarizations, following polarization
calibration, but omitting antenna 11.  The 'Q' and 'U' images are not
noise-limited -- showing a 'lumpy' appearance near the center of the
image of amplitude about 2 mJy (which is only 0.01% of the maximum in
I!)  The localized 'lumpiness' tells us that there are slowly varying
cross-polarization residuals, but at a very low level.

    All in all -- a very satisfying result.  We must find what is wrong
with antenna 11's polarization.  Otherwise, it now seems clear that the
EVLA antennas are close to the project requirements in polarization.  It
seems quite likely that the 4-band dipoles are responsible for the
variable cross-polarization seen in last fall's observations.  Direct
proof of this (via an on-off experiment) is probably justified.