[evlatests] Software time Maarch 8

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 9 11:06:25 EST 2007

    I loaded Barry's test data, and noted the following:

    1) The data headers look fine to me.

    2) Antennas 7, 9, 14, and 28 were very weak on all IFs throughout
the time period 17:46 to 19:00, and I flagged them out.

    3) Antenna 17 started off o.k., but disappeared a few minutes in --
taken out for servicing?  (I fill with all flags off, so I can't
discriminate between causes).

    4) All phases were excellent!  No drops, spins, jumps, or any other
phenomena which cannot be attributed to normal atmospheric phenomena or
to uncompensated long-term drifts.

    5) Amplitudes are interesting ...

       a) There were two basic states for all antennas -- one high and
one low.  The high state was associated with 20 second integration, the
low state with 10 second integration.  Power is conserved, so this
difference is clearly a normalization issue.  (That is, the CALIB
amplitudes are down by sqrt(2) when the integration is halved).

       b) Within each of the two amplitude states, there are periodic
drops in amplitude, separated by a few minutes.  The drop amplitudes are
twice as great in the 10-second integration than in the 20-second
integration, so the cause is of much shorter duration than either.  For
most antennas, drops are 'single' (they occur on only All four IFs of a
given antenna drop at the same time, but each antenna has its own drop
pattern.  (That is, they all drop, but rarely at the same time).
    Some antennas' drop pattern is different than that of the majority.
Antennas 6, 10, 22, 25, and 27 all show 'double drops' when in the
10-second averaging regime -- drops have two different amplitudes, one
much larger than the others.  These same antennas also have many more
drops, and they don't show the nearly perfect rhythm shown by the others.

    c) Otherwise, amplitudes are very stable, with no unusual effects
(on the resolution scale I'm using here).  Perhaps when the drops are
gone, and the amplitudes appropriately  normalized, I'll see more subtle
effects.

    I have plots of all the above, for those needing visual accompaniment.