[evlatests] alerts/flagging

Ken Sowinski ksowinsk at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 11 16:14:04 EDT 2007

There was much confusion at the VLA today with regard to timing
between the arrays whcih ened with the CMP in a strange state
and having to be rebooted more than once.  This resulted in
stale "L8 out of sync" messages in the alert server causing
all data from VLA antennas to be flagged as bad.

AS a temporary measure Walter has kludged idcaf so that L8
alertsd are not turned into flags.  However the alerts are
still there and no one I have talked to knows how to make
them go away.  We need either a little more distributed
knowledge about these parts of the system, or a system
with less remembered state.  I wonder if some (certainly not
all) of our problems with bad flagging may be related to this
kind of behavior.

Notice of removal of these alerts would be appreciated so that
idcaf can be restored to its usual funtionality.