[evlatests] [Fwd: Re: still some subreflector problems]

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 2 21:45:54 EDT 2007

    ... forgot to send this to everybody.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [evlatests] still some subreflector problems
Date: 	Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:28:51 -0600
From: 	Rick Perley <rperley at aoc.nrao.edu>
To: 	Ken Sowinski <ksowinsk at nrao.edu>

   I can add some observations here.

   I ran my 'stress test' at the end of software time.  The file has a
'dummy' X-band observation at the beginning, to permit antennas to move
and get on source, and any residual initial conditions to be dispenses
with.

   The first observation -- at X-band -- was started quite early, a few
minutes at least before the scheduled start time.

   After 14 minutes on this 'dummy' source, no VLA antenna gave any
fringes.  All the EVLA antennas, except 14 and 16, were on source within
4 mnutes of the start of the dataflow.   Antenna 14's good data began
very late -- only one minute before the end of the first scan.  Antenna
16 never gave any good data on this first scan.

   An X-band observation was made about 35 minutes later.  This time,
all antennas fringed nicely.  Antenna 16 is being partially flagged, but
the data are actually quite nice.