[evlatests] New RFI in Antenna 14!

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 31 14:30:27 EDT 2007

The network LAN stuff in that enclosure is quite noisy,
although I haven't tested it to the freq resolution you mention.
My test of last spring found significant spikes all the
way into X-band, with various spacings--commonly 6 & 12 MHz.
We used an RBW of 100 KHz, and 800 points in 1000 MHz.

I have attached the 1-2 GHz plot, and a 1.4 - 1.45 GHz
close-up.  The plots were labeled as "IP Phone LAN System", but the
LAN switches are the same ones used for all antenna LAN
communications.

The detrimental threshold line on these 2 plots was plotted
for the use of these LAN switch boxes as if used in the vertex
room without shielding, so I appears that only a reasonable
amount of shielding (20 - 30 dB) will drop the emissions
below the detrimental threshold.  The digital hash continues
beyond 5 GHz, and is especially dense between 3 and 3.5 GHz.

Clearly, we should be buttoning-up all these enclosures when
the LAN stuff is not being worked on, but then, we all already
knew that, didn't we?

-Mert