[evlatests] New RFI in Antenna 14!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 30 23:03:42 EDT 2007

    I ran a 12-hour RFI check of antenna 14 last night
(Wednesday/Thursday), using the 'FFT Spectral Scanner' of Mike's and
Walter's.  The goal was to monitor the DME spectrum, to see if (as
anticipated) the 1.05 -- 1.15 GHz spectrum opens up late at night.

    8192-channel spectra (resolution of 250 kHz) spectra were taken
every minute.  The results show a remarkable comb on RFI, *** which was
not present in that antenna a few months ago ***:

    There is a comb of strong, steady interfering tones, with spacing
62.5 MHz, starting at 1000.0 MHz, and extending all the way to 1940 MHz.

    I was in that antenna today (as part of a tour), and noted -- with
some surprise -- that the cover plate of the utility box was not
attached!  I suspect that the comb I saw (plus a lot of other steady RFI
in the spectrum) was emanating out of that gaping hole, from the
considerable digital stuff located within.

    Is this spectrum of RFI expected from the hardware within?