[evlatests] Pointing Clarified! (somewhat ...)

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 29 15:59:23 EDT 2007

    ... so we ran the referenced pointing check file again, this time with :

    1) All scans used STOP times, and

    2) Three observations were made after each referenced pointing
determination, the first and third with the referenced pointing turned
ON, and the middle one with it OFF.

    Results:

   1)  All three pointing determinations worked well.  Errors were large
(typically 0.8 arcminutes), essentially all in elevation, as expected
for this hot, sunny day.

    2) Referenced pointing is *NOT* applied to any antenna numbered 9 or
less.  It *IS* applied to all antennas numbered 10 and higher.

    This effect would have been seen in the earlier (Durations) file --
my claim that referenced pointing is not applied to any antenna, when
the file is in durations, stands.

    A very curious problem occurred at the end of this test -- details
to be reported in the next message.