[evlatests] EVLA Phase Problem

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 29 13:53:46 EDT 2007

    I ran another holography test last night (to test appropriate modes
for measuring L-band far-out sidelobes).  All antenna moves are exactly
as expected.  However, a particular phase issue was noted:

    For one of the ten-second measurements (at approximately the
half-power point of the main beam), all the EVLA antennas jumped in
phase.  We would normally blame the Flukes here, but in this case, this
cannot be, for:

    *** Each EVLA antenna jumped by a different amount ***

    The jumps were the same in opposite polarizations for IF#1.  (IF#2
was not used in this experiment).

    Jump amounts varied from +80 degrees (Antenna 14, on E16) to +160
(26, on N40).  Negative jumps were seen on three antennas.  No clear
corrrelation with antenna number, arm, or distance, is seen.